Tuesday, December 19, 2017

Cold and Snowy

I spent my entire Sunday with this beautiful snowy owl. Seven hours I stood under gray skies and in intermittent rain waiting and watching. Then the light starts to break through the clouds low in the sky. Excitement grows as the clouds thin in anticipation of the pending evening light. My eyes a fixed on the snowy watching the light. Suddenly the owl takes flight. Fast reaction grants me images of the departure. The day has been bitter sweet. Observing a snowy owl in Ohio is a remarkable opportunity only to have the disappointment of the snowy’s departure just before the long-awaited light arrives. This is how life goes in the field. I can spend hours or days with one species waiting for everything to come together for that perfect image. Many times, I leave empty handed. Sometimes the imagery is mediocre. Then there are times everything comes together; the light, location, weather, animal behavior, reaction time. Those days are pure heaven. No matter the photographic outcome I always leave with a full grateful heart. Knowing I am fortunate to have witnessed nature in motion and one step closer to a greater understanding of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment