Tuesday, February 20, 2018

Simplicity

An impending blizzard shortened my trip. I decided to leave before I was left stranded and waiting for roads to open. Traveling home on the leading edge of the storm the roads were good to me, few significant hazards. Crossing South Dakota the road became a slushy-snow mix east of the Missouri River. Focus entirely on the task of navigating my way safely. Well, almost entirely focused, I could not help but notice the changing light around me. The morning sun was burning through the clouds creating a soft filtered light that illuminated the frost covered farmland making subtle color pop. Every fiber of my being wanted to document this simplistic beauty. Without a second thought, I took the first exit.  A fresh layer of the powder welcomed me to the empty country roads.  Wondered the dirt road, I soaked up the vast open space. While some people may see nothing, I saw an extraordinary grace. I know winters are harsh on the plains. The winds are sharp and unrelenting. However, in the bitter surroundings, I found an unembellished allure of tranquility that was peerless to another I had seen before.

A lone tree stands frosted in farm fields as a blizzard approaches/Elle Pollard 2018 

No comments:

Post a Comment