Tuesday, January 9, 2018

Ice Fall

As the Midwest and east coast starts to thaw from the polar vortex people are inclined to hit the trail to shake off the cabin fever and check out the frozen waterfalls. The breath-taking beauty of the ice pillars can turn dangerous as the temperatures rise. Last year I headed out to Ohio's cherished Hocking Hills region after a cold front had moved through to photograph the frozen fall of Ash Cave.  It was not long before there was a steady flow of people.  I decided to step aside to enjoy the splendor with my eyes while people explored the cave and ice pillar.  Then a loud deep pop filled the cove as the ice broke free from the cliff above. Tons of ice crashed to the ice pillar below. A blood-curdling scream came from the icy rubble. Two young women had moved in closer to the ice formation right before the break. I quickly scanned the scene; I knew there were four additional people there with me. "One, two, three …. Three. Where is the fourth? Where is she?" I said to myself as I felt my heart grow heavy. I feared the worst had just happened. Then the sound of the most beautiful voice broke the screams, "I'm ok! It's alright" repeated the woman closest to the fall as she ran out from behind the ice to embrace her hiking companion.  Not only was she alive but she escaped without injury. I took a minute to recompose myself and captured one more image of the scene, after all, I am a photographer. Feeling the most profound gratitude for the positive outcome, I packed my gear and headed home. 

Before and after images of Ash Cave morning of January 10, 2017.


If you head out during this warm spell, check the trail in front of you. Watch overhead for icicles that may have formed on the rocks, cliffs, and overhangs.  Half-pound of ice hits with 1,000 pounds of force according to Nationalsafety's Weblog. "That is the rough equivalent of a couple of people on a stiletto-shoe heel on top of your head," Andreas Schroeder, a physics professor at the University of Illinois-Chicago says.

Source:

Nationalsafety's Weblog: https://nationalsafetyinc.org/2012/02/20/dangers-of-falling-ice/

No comments:

Post a Comment